From the comfort of your own home or garden and at a flexible time to suit you and your family! Build an individual plan with Karen to address common training issues, these might be:
- jumping up,
- loose lead walking,
- teaching calm behaviours,
- how everyday enrichment can help,
- teaching good manners.
Please note these are not behavioural consults and are designed to address only training issues. Please contact us if you have any questions before booking. Choose to pay as you go or a more cost effective three session package.
Together you'll work through some of your everyday puppy and dog challenges and plan the best way to address them. PLEASE NOTE, THESE SESSIONS ARE NOT FOR ADDRESSING MORE COMPLEX BEHAVIOURAL ISSUES.
At the time of booking you will select your appointment slot and pay for the session in full.
By booking the package you will benefit from all of this:
- 3 x 60 minute 121 sessions with Karen who is a qualified trainer and behaviour advisor.
- Free access to our Happy Training The Foundations online course and downloadable resources
- Step by step training plans
- An audio recording of the key points and actions agreed in session as appropriate.
- Additional digital resources and training exercises as identified to support you at home.
- A complimentary 15 minute follow up video call (optional).
PAYG option includes 1 x 60min video consult plus digital training plans as appropriate.
If you are worried about virtual sessions, don't be! All you need is a small, quiet area at home, access to a laptop/tablet/smart phone, an internet connection and some treats...oh and of course your dog! COVID-19 restrictions are here to stay, at least in the short to medium term and this means that ‘in person’ sessions are going to be extremely limited and that virtual sessions are going to be essential in training puppies and dogs going forwards.
Dog training needs rarely ‘get better’ on their own without intervention, and delaying addressing these may result in them getting worse as a result of the dog continuing to practise and strengthen the behaviour. So if you have a dog training need and you’ve been holding back on trying a virtual session, we urge you to take the leap and give them a go. We think you’ll be surprised how easy and useful they can be!
Done right, virtual classes and support can be just as effective, if not more so in some ways than 'in person' activities for all types of training and support - this even includes recall and loose lead walking! In our experience of running virtual sessions and the feedback from clients has identified the following key benefits for you and your dog:
- Your puppy or dog will be more relaxed in an environment in which they feel comfortable
- There are fewer distractions at home, and so it is often a more beneficial place for helping your puppy or dog to focus on you and respond to training
- Training calm behaviours and chill out activities are so much easier in a familiar environment than in a stimulating and exciting one
- We’d always recommend that owners start all of their foundation training at home first of all anyway. There’s absolutely no disadvantage to training with us at home from the start and then gradually taking it out and about.
- Weather is not an issue so your pup and you won't get too cold, wet or hot. The other advantage is that classes can always go ahead regardless of the weather, so there’ll be no cancellations as with ‘in person’ sessions held outside.
- You can get individual coaching and feedback in real time
- You don't have to get dressed, pack your bag up and travel to a class - you can even do it in your pyjamas if you want!
So...we think virtual sessions are great! However, we do know that the thought of doing a Zoom or another type of virtual session can be really daunting at first, and we want you to get as much out of it as possible.
That's why we've put together this beginner's guide to walk you through our virtual sessions step by step so you can get started with confidence.
Please contact us with any questions you have before booking.
You may also be interested in...
Online training at your convenience
We also offer a new online training which offers an alternative flexible option for puppy owners!
Our GOOD DOG - LEVEL 1 is a 6 weeks course which will help hoomans teach their dogs 'Good Dog' behaviour.
Special offer! For a limited time only - get a free virtual session with Karen to keep you on track and answer any questions you have when you sign up for the online course.
**This virtual session is to be taken within a month of signing up for the course.
In Person 'Family Sessions'
Karen is offering a limited number of in person 121 training sessions for puppies and dogs and their hooman family (up to 5 people allowed from the same household).
These sessions are useful for teaching your dog:
- To focus on you and listen to you
- To come back when you call
- To walk nicely on the lead
- To be calm and relaxed
- To make good choices instead of doing things we don't like such as jumping up
- Emergency and safety behaviours - such as staying in one place, stop and leave.
Our customers have given us great feedback about our Stay at Home services, since we launched them.
Together with our young whippet Winnie, we were attending Karen’s Happy Puppy classes until the Covid19 lockdown forced the suspension of those classes. A few weeks later we began on-line sessions via Skype. These sessions have worked exceptionally well for us. Karen’s acute observations of Winnie’s behaviour in her home setting have helped us think clearly about how best to encourage desired behaviour, and the training exercises we have learned during Skype sessions have worked well for us.
These sessions allow Karen to see how we react to Winnie, as well as how Winnie herself acts in a natural setting. Her immediate feedback has made us more thoughtful, systematic, and consistent, in how we treat our dog, and we value her ongoing support. I highly recommend Karen and Blue Dog to anyone who wants to learn more about their dog, and who wants to shape their dogs conduct through positive methods of training.
Robin & Erica and of course Winnie the Whippet
Specialist Stay at Home Services for pups and dogs
The keys to a calmer, happier and more content dog. With Karen you'll look at things you can do to build calmness and your dog's ability to chill out. We'll look at how building enrichment activities into your dog's routine can help nervous and excitable dogs become calmer and more able to relax and how you can use positive training to train calm and settled behaviours.
Take steps to prepare your puppy for being home alone and what you can do to start to build up their ability to cope when you are not around. We'll look at your daily routine and plan things so that you are able to build confidence and independence. This is not for dogs who have already developed Separation Anxiety - please contact us if this is something you need help with.